Cakes are one of the most delicious foods on earth, and as the nature of things goes, one of the most fattening too. But here’s how you can make a healthy cake recipe and never have to worry about feeling guilty again!
Sponge Cake (without flour!)
Egg whites – 12 large (at room temperature)
Vanilla Sugar (1 Cup)
Matzo cake meal (3/4 Cup)
Lemon juice (1tsp)
Freshly grated lemon zest (1 tbsp)
Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
1. Preheat your oven to a temperature of 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk the matzo cake meal, ¼ cup vanilla sugar and the lemon zest.
3. In another bowl, put in the egg whites, lemon juice and salt and beat the mixture until it is of homogenous consistency. An electric mixture is preferred for this purpose because you can slowly increase the speed of the mixer to obtain best results. Keep increasing the speed until small peaks stand out of the mixture. Add the left over vanilla sugar (3/4 cup) to the mixture, one tbsp at a time, while continuing to beat the mixture, until stiff peaks are clearly seen.
4. After this process, fold the dry ingredients into the egg whites with the help of a spatula. Coat a thin layer of this mixture onto an ungreased baking tin of appropriate size and then pour out the mixture evenly. Make circular motions with the spatula, in the mixture to release any trapped air and to even out the top layer.
5. Bake the cake until the top seems to spring back at you when touched lightly and of course, when a knife or toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out absolutely clean. Following this, invert the cake so as to cool it properly. Then, with a knife loosen the edges of the cake and empty it out onto a serving dish.
Nutritional facts (per serving)
Calories – 113 Kcal
Total Fat – 0 g
Protein – 4g
Sodium – 153 mg